Ignition Interlock Devices

Ignition interlock, car breathalyzer, or “blow thingie.”

No matter what name you know this device by, it can be an important part of you life if you have been arrested for DWI.

Most license sanctions for alcohol-related arrests (whether criminal or civil) are met by some period of voluntary or compulsory period where the person cannot drive a car unless it is equipped with one.

First time DWI arrests where there is a 90 day period of suspension can be served under “restricted driving privilege” if the driver installs an ignition interlock device. However, certain steps must be taken in time, otherwise the driver loses this ability and must do at least 30 days without their license.

Having a license suspension means that you will need to have it “reinstated” at some point. Those with certain “priors” will need to serve 6 months after reinstatement with an ignition interlock device.

Call Cameron today to discuss your situation, and see if, and when, you should get an ignition interlock device.


Being convicted more than once for DWI can result in a long-term loss of license.

Two qualifying DWI convictions within 5 years will get you a 5 year denial.

Three qualifying convictions lifetime will get you a 10 year denial.

It is important to challenge the legality of the DWI charge in order to prevent the convictions.

During a denial, it is possible to obtain limited driving privileges if a court orders them.

Near the end of a denial, or after the prescribed time, you can get your license reinstated if a court orders it.

However, none of these things is automatic.

Consult with Cameron today to see if you are in need of legal help.

Starting January 1, 2017, the requirement that a petitioner for a court-ordered limited driving privilege be driving-related-felony free will be adjusted.

The “look-back” will be limited to the 5 years immediately preceding the petition.

If you have been under a 10 year denial, and haven’t been able to get an LDP, you may become eligible once the law changes.

Contact me today to see if you need to file your petition for limited driving privileges.

Back to Top